Immigrant Social Services welcomes volunteers who would like to offer different skills in support of the organization’s work in Chinatown and the Lower East Side. We often need volunteers with skills in the following areas:
- Chinese Language translation and interpretation in Simplified/Traditional and all dialects
- Graphic Design: Assistance with creating digital and printed collateral using photoshop and/or Canva
- Social Media Engagement Strategy: Help us amplify our programs and resources through Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Website: frontend design, content management, and backend support on WordPress
- Content Writing and Copywriting (i.e. blogposts and posts about our programs)
We are also looking for volunteers available Monday-Friday any time between 2:30-5:30 pm to support the academic growth of grades K-8 public school students in Chinatown and Lower East Side (currently P.S.2 and P.S.126). All of our youth volunteer opportunities are currently in-person only.
- Literacy buddies (weekly commitment for at least a semester): meet with a student on a weekly basis to support their English literacy skills. You can help them develop their reading comprehension or help English Language Learners practice English outside their day school experience, as they might not have household members to speak English with.
- Homework Accountability Buddies (twice a week commitment (1 hour each day) for at least a semester): Work with a small group of 1-4 students in grades 2-5 assisting them with their homework. Ensure that students complete their homework and provide assistance when students request it.
If you have any questions about volunteering or the form, please email [email protected].